Since our spring break has been rather cold and not very spring like we are still eating cold weather food. Even though all I really want is some sun and a spring salad.
So a few days ago while it was snowing this is what we had...
Creamy White Beans with Sausage
Ingredients
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
12 ounces hot smoked sausage, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
One 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juices
Five 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
3 cups fresh spinach or arugula, rinsed and spun dry
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Extra-virgin olive oil, for serving
Crusty French or peasant bread, warmed, for serving (optional)
Cooking Directions
Heat the oil in a large heavy Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add the sausage and tomatoes. Increase the heat to medium-high
and simmer for 2 minutes.
Add the beans and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the beans are tender and flavorful, about 20 minutes.
Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the rosemary, thyme, and spinach. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve hot in wide shallow bowls, drizzled with extra-virgin olive oil.
I did a few things differently -- I sautéd the sausage first and browned it. Then I removed it from the pan and got all the good brown bits off the bottom of the pan by sautéing 1/2 of a diced onion. Then I added the garlic and made the rest of the dish the same.
I used canned beans and Polska Kielbasa. The sausage gives most of the flavor so I
would use one you love.
would use one you love.
Enjoy -- with any luck we wont have this again until fall because it will be too warm.
A girl can dream can't she?
A girl can dream can't she?

4 comments:
Looks yummy!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the picture in your blog header. It makes me happy just looking at it.
Those flavors sound great! I need more recipes for beans! (the magic fruit)
Yeah! I'm so glad you posted this on here. I've been wanting to try this. It sounds so good!!! (especially during this cold weather.)It looks absolutely delicious!
I have to chuckle at Robyn saying "the magic fruit." I don't k now why, but it makes me laugh coming from her. :)
YUMM-O! That looks scrumptious! I'm gonna try that one. I also love your new blog header picture. That picture looks professional.
Post a Comment