Thursday, October 7, 2010

School Days

Barry's class went on a field trip to the fire station and I got to go with them. It was a beautiful day for a walk. Last year when I went went with Will's class the kids were all in coats. This time we were all decked out in shorts.


At the fire station the firemen talked about fire safety and showed the kids their gear and explained what it was all for. Then they asked one child to come up and stomp on fireman Duke's steel toed boots.  Barry was the lucky one chosen and he tried his hardest to crush fireman Dukes toes -- but no go -- he didn't even feel it much to Barry's disappointment.

At one point fireman Duke put on his mask and let the kids hear what he sounded like when he spoke with his oxygen mask on (a little like Darth Vader). He told them if they were ever to find themselves in a fire and heard someone talking to them like that, they should not be scared, it is a fire fighter coming to help them.




Because it was such a beautiful day the kids had a chance to use the fire hoses. This was definitely the highlight for the kids. And to be honest I wanted to get in line and try it our too!


Barry -- being Barry, sprayed up and down and all around.




They had a great afternoon.

I have to say it was great to go on a long walk. But afterwards my ankles were pretty sore.  So imagine how excited I was when I hopped in the car after the field trip, picked Alli up from the HS and then ran out of gas.

Yep

Alli was super excited too.

After all what could be cooler for a teenager than to be seen walking down the street with your "too cool for school" mom?

Luckily my friend Traci came to our rescue! And we didn't have to walk home.


Now on to Cole...


For his 7th grade science class he had to build a 3-D model of a cell. He has his choice of either a human or plant cell.  He chose the plant cell. His teacher asked them to be creative in their choices, so we used ribbon, fabric, pom pom balls and clay. He also had to have a key to the model.


I think he did a great job and so did his teacher! He got 50 out of 50 possible points. Do you think she'll remember this if I save it for Lily?

4 comments:

Britney said...

Barry is a fireman in training. That would be a great career for him -- active AND a hero. What more could you want? I love that they did the talking with the mask on. Great idea. All kids should hear that.

I LOVE Cole's model. He did an awesome job. And I laughed out loud when I read the part about saving it for Lily. Good thinking Tex. :)

Marcie Ashton said...

Cole's model is awesome. Our 8th grade science teacher has kids make models of molecules-but I've never seen anything as cool as Cole's cell!

Unknown said...

wow. I am very impressed with cole's project! that must have taken some serious time!
and that looks like the perfect field trip for barry!

Robyn said...

That sounds like a fun day- the fire station and running out of gas! Ah, good thing your friend rescued you.

I love Cole's model. It looks so good. We just did a Native American diorama for Austin and it was so much work. Don't you just love school projects??!