Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day Dad!!


My dad is the coolest guy I know (sorry Cord).

Just look at him.

I guess that's why I am sooo cool and so darn funny -- because he is also the funniest person I know (and we all know those things are genetic right?)

Most fathers teach their kids how to be kind, ride a bike & how to work hard. While my dad did teach me those things, he also taught me how to tell a good story, love the San Francisco Giants and mock others.

Growing up I loved watching movies with my dad for two reasons. The first is that he always knew what was going to happen next. I would sit next to him awe struck as he predicted the plot of various movies and t.v. shows. I thought this was the most amazing thing. Silently I began to guess before he did who "dun it" or how a story line would play out. I have to say I got pretty good and now I enjoy the looks of awe from my children as I predict the ending of movies.

The other reason I loved to watch movies with my dad -- particularly movies with chase scenes in them -- is because he has the uncanny ability to distinguish when the sounds coming from a speeding car were not the right sounds that particular engine should make. Really. He would always point out when the wrong sound effects were being used and I loved it. My dad knows more about cars that anyone I have met.

My dad loves old cars and Hot Rod magazine. Someday when I am rich and famous I am going to buy him an old Chevy and give him the money to restore it how he wants. Now Dad, should I never be rich and famous just remember it's the thought that counts.

When I was a girl my dad had a '57 Chevy Nomad that he kept at his sign shop. Now this may be a figment of a young girls imagination but I remember his co-workers painting "Stormin' Norman" of the side in small letters. I heard some of them say it should be "Stormin' Norman the Mormon" and that's the other thing my dad taught me. How to be a Mormon. By example he taught me how to live the gospel of Jesus Christ. I have never questioned my dad's testimony and that has given my great strength and comfort. He is the rock of our family.

I love my dad so much and am grateful for the many sacrifices he made to provide for his family. I know that at any time I can call my dad he would drop what he is doing and help me. He would even drive 800 miles across that awful Nevada to do it. Do you remember our drive to Rexburg Dad?

I love you Dad.

Happy Father's Day!

4 comments:

Karen said...

What a great tribute to your Dad! Thanks for sharing. I loved that he taught you to mock others. I'm always grateful to be the recipient of your gentle loving mockery.

Karen said...

Case in point. At the very time I'm reading your post and writing a comment, you're over on Face book, calling me a nerd and teasing me about bedbugs. Yes Heidi, your father taught you well. And it make me truly grateful.

Kristin said...

love, love, love the old pictures.

k8shoe said...

That's a sweet middle part your dad's sporting! :)