He says it constantly. If I tell him he can't have a cookie the reply is "I hate you". If it is time for a nap "I hate you" or if the show he wants to watch isn't on (because I do control programming on the Disney Channel) his response -- everyone now -- "I hate you".
I have been trying so hard to get him to stop saying it. I have gotten mad, done the time outs, I have replied "I love you" (his reply was "I really hate you") I have tried to ignore him and Cord has even washed his mouth out with soap. And nothing has worked. Shauna suggested vinegar, just a little bit in the mouth each time he says it. I will try that next. Any other suggestions?
My parents are coming this week and I just can't wait for him to tell grandma that he hates her!

11 comments:
Heidi, you gotta love that face. Priceless. I have a little of the same problem with my own kids. Mainly just talking rude and mean to each other. I hear an occasional "I hate you" as well. I always just say "don't say that" or "that's not nice".. .. I don't think it really sinks in. Not too bold on my part.
Let me know what works.
ha ha ha! I know that's not funny, but since he's not mine,...I can appreciate the humor in it. But, I also know how frustrating it is for a mother. I would also do the vinegar. It cured a few mouth ills in our house. I don't know if he's old enough yet, but we have also made them pay money for certain acts of naughtiness. So, if he's a money guy (motivated by money) that might work. But, vinegar has been dosed a few times in our house and has been quite effective. Good luck! (AT least he's still really cute!!!!) :)
Oh, I just had to lough...sounds sooo familiar.
Oh Heidi, I also don't want to sound insensitive, but it is funny when you read that one...I bet the vinegar would work, sounds nasty. We haven't quite had the "I hate you" YET, but it is coming I am sure.
Good luck... ;)
I know this is hard. Barry has found a voice of independence! Try to decode his feelings to him and restate your position back to him..you seem angry you want you...
He probably in some way likes the reaction from everyone to.
The other thought is how many times does he hear mother /siblings use the word hate in response to a situation?
I would just ignore it and rephase his feelings for awhile and see if the use decreases.
I have had it said to be many times and it does hit a soft spot in your heart.
What would the Nanny do???? :)
Oh, the joys of motherhood. I am seriously shocked that I haven't heard these words yet. I am sure it won't be long!
I have heard of using horseradish, cayenne pepper, hot mustard, etc. If it gets bad, you do what you gotta do, right? One family in our ward makes their kids do push-ups. They have all girls- 4, 6, 10, and 12 yrs old. Their 10 year old can do like 50 push ups! Not a bad idea.
My kids have been bickering so much I made them write down 15 things they love about each other yesterday. It took them FOREVER! Ha ha
Grr. How frusterating! I'm sure this is in my future. Good Luck!
I'm with Grandma Mary on this one...imagine being the youngest there at the Udall mansion, a home filled with such delicate, meek and mild personalities! Please...let the boy express himself! I'm sure this will pass, what with the rest of your kids talkin like sailors and all! It could be worse, at least he doesn't tell you he can't find his "freakin, damn pants"! Just one of the darling little phrases Tess learned from her saintly mother! I know, let's be honest here...there should have been a pre-interview screening or something before I was blessed with children! Plus...he's totally adorable...:O) Remember to love his guts!
You want me to come over there and smack him around a little? Then you can save him from me and you'll be like a total hero to him and there's not a chance he could hate you. I could borrow Cord's chainsaw and really scare the little guy. What?! You don't want me to do that? I hate you.
Hey I found your blog through Angies. I cant believe how fast time has gone by... oh and thanks for this post... all i have to say is oh great, someday it will be my turn.
Kids make you crazy. Some days more than others.
Post a Comment