Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Worst Dentist Appointment EVER!

So I have been feeling like a bad mother because I brought Barry into the dentist for his first check-up and at the tender age of three he has several cavities.

Our dentist referred us to a pediatric dentist who could better handle cavities at his age. So we went and had a consultation -- it was decided that we would come in at 8:00 am with three medications they prescribed. One medication would knock him out -- one was for pain and the other would help him forget the appointment.

Early Thursday morning we headed over to the dentist while Barry begged for some breakfast (which he couldn't have). Tiffany the very nice dental assistant brought us back and told Barry it was time to take the medicine. Of course Barry being the happy cooperative child that he is -- took the first medication and spit the last two all over Tiffany her friend Michelle (who was holding his legs) and me. It was a proud moment.

The dentist told me that since he didn't get any of the "knock out" drug he would give him a shot. So we went in and Barry happily sat in the dentist chair (who is he Jeckle & Hyde?) They put a Spiderman blanket on him and he started watching a movie. Well then it was time for the novocain. Unbelievably he let the dentist give him several shots -- he was fine. The dentist said that nw he was going to give him some of the sedative.

I was feeling prety good at this point not as stressed as i had been earlier. Little did i know what was coming. I guess in about 10% of adults this medication causes anger and anxiety but in children it's very rare. Barry of course is very rare.

Not three minutes after he get the shot he started bucking himself off the chair. He ripped off the Nitrous Oxide mask and started to freak out. The dental assistant was caught off gaurd and barley caught him before he fell to the floor. He was seriously like the the Hulk. i tried to hold him to calm him down and he would have none of it. For --really-- 45 minutes he was screaming at the top of his lungs -- his favorite thing to scream -- "I HATE YOU".

I was so embarrassed. They didn't want me to leave until Barry could walk and with all the drugs he couldn't even stand up. It was a nightmare! I could not get him to calm down and he just flung himself around on the floor. I just wanted to run away i can't tell you how bad it was. Finally after an hour he was calm enough for them to check his heart rate and blood oxygen levels (with out getting hit) and then we were free to go.

So Barry still has several cavities and because of the amnesia medication still thinks the dentist is cool. I however never want to show my face there again.

P.S. In August he will get to see the dentist again -- this time with an Anesthesiologist. And Cord is going to take him.

8 comments:

Shauna said...

Oh Heidi! You have my deepest sympathies. Poor Heidi! Poor Barry! I think we all have bad experiences like that but we feel like we're the only ones. You are not alone. I joined the same club when Sylus came along. He does a lot of "rare" things.

julie said...

You are a WISE WISE WISE woman! Sounds like a job for SUPERMAN aka DAD!!! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I tried to get onto yours but was unsuccessful! I will add you to my list, ooh aah!

Camp was a success!!! Bryce is sleeping like a baby. I can not remember the last time he took a nap. I, on the other hand like to indulge daily whenever possible. Which ends up being never, oh well. Something to look forward to. Ciao bella!

Angie said...

Oh My! I worked in a dental office in Richfield. You are soo not the only mom that this has happened to. Your reunion pics are fun.

Unknown said...

I cried when I found out Jorden had cavities at our first dentist appointment, I thought I had failed...sorry you had the Hulk for a son for 45 minutes, but I have to giggle that he doesn't remember any of it--too bad the experience is emblazoned on your memory for forever...good luck to Cord in August.

Unknown said...

I hate living through moments like this, glad you are having
cord get the opportunity next time! Last winter, elizabeth through the biggest fit right in the middle of the mall ( no drugs assisted on this one), and I had to hold her down in a chair for about fifteen minutes until she calmed down.

Britney said...

Oh my goodness! I am SO SORRY! I would be embarassed too, but when I hear about it from others I think..."Don't be embarassed. Everyone knows it's not your fault." So, that is what I was thinking for you, but I know it is a different story when you're the mom dealing with it. I feel for you! I'm with you though -- send Cord. :) I'm sorry you had a day like that. At least you didn't break down crying in front of everyone. That's probably what I would have done and not wanted to do. :) Best of luck for August!

Chantel said...

I can't even tell you how many cavities Tabitha had at her first appointment I am still embarrassed. But just let me reassure you that it was more than three.

Thanks for the laugh. Your stories are the best.

Heidi said...

Britney -- actually while I was in the recovery room with Barry I did start to cry!