Friday, October 17, 2008

Catching up

This week I have been busy trying to organize my house -- ugh! It is so overwhelming! I went through all of my clothes and donated 3 garbage bags to MS. I had Cord go through his stuff and he added 3 more bags! I still feel like I have so much to do and I have to remind myself to take things one day and one room at a time.


For YW this week the girls had a modesty fashion show. The parents were invited which is always a little hard for me because Cord is at mutual too. So I schlepped the kids down to the church and we saw Alli walking the runway of the RS room.

This week "reflections" projects were due. Reflections is a PTA sponsored humanities contest. There are several areas like visual arts, photography, even dance. The theme this year is "WOW!" which I thought was pretty random.

Lily really wanted to do photography and decided she was going to spell out wow using her friends. We tried a few times to get the right number of kids but in the end she had her siblings spell out each letter individually and then we mounted them on poster board. I wish I had a picture of Cole's drawing. It is a really good drawing of a lighthouse.

On Tuesday I went with the cub scouts to the art museum. Here they are with their two leaders. I love going to the museum and am so glad it is just a few blocks away. They have an exhibit from the Utah Watercolor Society that is fantastic.


One final thing...Barry & Alli were chasing each other the other day -- playing and having a great time when I heard blood curdling screams. I ran in the kitchen to find that Barry, while running, had a pencil in his mouth and YES he fell and punctured his mouth with the pencil (squirm)!

He was crying so hard and blood started coming out of his mouth. I finally got him to open his mouth where I could see a hole! I had him rinse his mouth take some Tylenol and rest. When he let me open his mouth again the bleeding had stopped and the "hole" had closed to a dot (whew). He didn't want to eat the rest of the day but woke up the next morning like nothing had happened. Kids are amazing -- I would have whined for a week!


This morning I woke up to this beautiful view. We are in St. George for fall break. More from here soon.

8 comments:

Robyn said...

I have been wondering where you were!! I hope you're having fun in St. George. I am dying for a break or a getaway!! I am so glad that Barry wasn't hurt worse. That's so scary. In 7th grade I was playing with some friends at school and almost got a pencil in my eye. I still have a little lead spot on my face. Alli is so beautiful in her dress. I can't believe how grown up she is. Great idea for a fashion show.

Shauna said...

Alli's dress is pretty cool. She looks lovely as usual.
I thought you were going to take me with you on your trip. What happened? You left without even a call and I was all packed and ready!
Hmmmmmm.
Sticking pencils anywhere in the body is just all wrong. Please, let's not have anymore of that. I'm glad little Barrold is okay.

Marcie Ashton said...

Hope you get lots of relaxing! Enjoy!

Grandma Mary said...

Oh Barry.
When two, I was carrying a child's watering can at Grandma Earl's home. Fell. The spout went into the roof of my mouth. So glad I do not remember. But reading about Barry made my stomach turn.

Kristin said...

Alli is beautiful.

Poor little Barry, so sad when they get hurt like that.

What great ideas for Reflections!! Very cool. We need to get on that one.

Enjoy beautiful St. George! Love Fall break.

3girlsmom said...

you know when i saw the pic of the pencil i thought it was going to be story about that. that happened to my girlfriend's son a few years back but it went into the back of his throat! scary! and once savannah stabbed sarah in the chest with one! nice! glad to hear he is okay.

Karen said...

As I am aware that you are aware that I am in fact a licensed social worker and that I am a faithful follower of your BLOG and would be reading the sad story of one of your children chasing a younger sibling around the house while said younger sibling was in possession of a pointy pencil, and that the aforementioned social worker would have to contact the Division for Children and Family Services to investigate this incident further, I can only assume that this is a cry for help. Being a compassionate friend and neighbor, I will forgo contacting DCFS if you can assure me of the following 3 conditions: 1) that there will be no more people playing around whilst handling pointy pencils. 2) That you promise to post no more pictures of scary objects, not limited to just pointy pencils that I end up picturing poking someone in the eye or lip, but also would include pictures of deadly black widow spiders, and finally 3) I want some more of your yummy cake. I would actually like one piece of cake per week for the next 10 weeks.

Unknown said...

Kennedy really wanted to do reflections, and we didn't know what to do with the "wow" theme, but luckily her teacher had them do something in class, so I was off the hook and just had to sign the paper. I think she wrote a poem.