Thursday, October 23, 2008

Rude


Now I know I am setting myself up for ridicule here but I am going to say it any way...The other day I was watching Oprah (insert Cord's sigh here) and the topic was civility. She had Dr P.M. Forni on talking about his book Choosing Civility.

Some of the things he said were good reminders for me. Not that I consider myself to be a rude person but there are times when I get impatient and probably take it out on the wrong people (is there a right person to take it out on?) He pointed out that "the quality of our lives depends on the quality of our relationships. The quality of our relationships depends on our relational skills. Civility, good manners & politeness are time proven, very effective codes of relational skills."

We should treat each other -- stranger or not -- with respect in every situation including people who work in the service industry (and bad drivers). Then good old Opera had the audience take a rude test. Can you guess which questions 98% of the audience answered yes to?
  • 1. Are you chronically late?
  • 2. Have you ever typed an e-mail while talking on the phone?
  • 3. Have you ever interrupted a face-to-face conversation to take a non-urgent cell phone call
  • 4. Have you gone through a supermarket 10-item express lane with more than 10 items?
  • 5. While among friends or co-workers, have you yawned without covering your mouth?
  • 6. Have you ever texted or talked on a cell phone in a movie theater?
  • 7. Have you let your dog relieve himself on your neighbor's lawn?
  • 8. Have you ever cut in front of someone in line?
  • 9. Have you ever stolen someone's parking spot?
  • 10. Have you ever let your child kick the back of the seat in front of him and not apologized to his victim?
  • 11. Have you ever not RSVP'd to an event by the date requested?
  • 12. Have you ever gossiped?
  • 13. Have you ever taken someone else's food or drink from the office refrigerator?
Anyway, it was a good to be reminded of the golden rule. I love this quote from Dr. Forni's book.

"We never touch people so lighly that we don't leave a trace" -- Peggy Tabon Millin

6 comments:

Brenda said...

Oh I know I'm totally rude...I just don't seem to care enough to not be. I guess that makes me even more rude huh?
Oh well...at least I have a few friends that tolerate my rudeness!
Thanks of the eye-opener...I didn't realize how snarky I am...the rudeness test really hit home! I'll try harder to better...honest! Thanks Heid!

Shauna said...

I'm very ashamed to say I had to answer yes to a few of those questions! I guess I need to do a little soul searching. When did I become so hostile? So, which question did so many people say "yes" to? Very curious.
There's that word "snarky" again, very useful!

Unknown said...

good reminder, Heidi. Did people answer yes to emailing and talking on the phone? I am guilty of that. Pretty good on most others. fall short every now and then,though, so i guess i would have to answer yes to a few more. theres always something to improve and be better at.
And were you watching Opera, or Oprah?
And David really doesn't like Oprah. .. but I think she has some good things to share.

Robyn said...

This is really interesting. I might have to copy it on my blog or put a link to yours.... It's such a good reminder b/c so many of these things are frequently violated by some individuals. Yes, I am guilty of a few but I think I am at least aware, or try to be!

I am not a fan of Opera but once in a while she has some good stuff. Did you see the one the other day with the spoiled kids and the parents who are cutting back and spending less? Had a good message.

Karen said...

Only 19% admit to being chronically late? I wonder what S.H. would have to say about that.

I was shocked to see how rude I really am. I'm talking on the phone to someone as I type this while my husband is trying to watch a movie and my dog is off making a deposit on your lawn. yawn... (don't worry, I covered my mouth.)

Kristin said...

Hmmm . . .something to chew on. I try so hard not to be late but I almost always am. If I look at it as a rude behavior maybe that will help?
Looks like you guys had such a wonderful trip!!! So much fun.