Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Create

Last Saturday Night I attended the General Relief Society Meeting (for the women of my church) in Salt Lake. The concluding speaker was President Uchtdorf and he gave such a great talk. It was just what I needed to hear. He spoke about how women tend to apologize for imperfections that sometimes only we can see. He told of how his wife no matter how remarkable her meals are always finds something wrong them.

I do that so often! I have a hard time being satisfied with what I do and tend to pick things apart. You can always count on me to point out the mistakes in a quilt I've made for instance. But I do love to make things. I like to sew and to bake and make things for my house. I guess I just need to stop worrying about how it will all turn out and instead enjoy the process of creating.

President Uchtdoft encouraged women to create. He said "The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul. No matter our talents, education, backgrounds, or abilities, we each have an inherent wish to create something that did not exist before. Everyone can create. You don’t need money, position, or influence in order to create something of substance or beauty."

What a statement! We can all create. Regardless of our perceived talents (or lack there of) we can all create something -- friendships, happy homes, gardens, blogs, a cake, or more if we want to. He also reminds us that "What you create doesn’t have to be perfect. So what if the eggs are greasy or the toast is burned? Don’t let fear of failure discourage you. Don’t let the voice of critics paralyze you—whether that voice comes from the outside or the inside. If you still feel incapable of creating, start small. Try to see how many smiles you can create, write a letter of appreciation, learn a new skill, identify a space and beautify it."

So I decided to finally stain this table Cord & I bought about 6 months ago. I was scared to stain it because I had never done it before. I was really worried that it would look streaky and to tell you the truth I was really worried about making a color choice (There are sooo many choices and what if I made the wrong one?!). So last week I decided not to stress out over it and just buy some stain.

Here it is in the process.

Waiting to dry

Here is the final product. I think it looks pretty good (even though there is a bristle of the brush stuck in the polyurethane -- I know, I know I'm not supposed to find fault). Now I have to decide what to put on top of the table. That is stressing me out too! :)

Anyway, I hope that you try to create something and are happy with what you do! If you would like to read the talk click here

7 comments:

julie said...

It was an excellent talk! I really liked that quote also. It is true that we yearn to create. I like the different ways a person can create. One creation I would like to perfect is a life full of love, righteousness, and good living.

Your table is beautiful. I look forward to see what goes on it.

Shauna said...

Your table looks really good. The dark stain you chose will look great with the other parts of the room...and only look better with time.

I know what you mean about finding fault with ourselves. I'm working on that fault too. Pres. Uchdorfs talk couldn't have come at a better time. Thanks for always being so "real". Love love ya.

Shauna said...

I just realized I misspelled Uchtdorfs name! Oopsie.

Brenda said...

Love the table...I think you are very creative and WAY to hard on yourself! Sorry I missed that meeting. Sounds like great counsel...of course!

Robyn said...

I like the stain you chose. I am so much like you, I hate making decisions like that b/c I am afraid I will regret it later!

I loved so many of the talks we heard. I really felt like our leaders were speaking to us as individuals about very real issues. The idea about creating something that wasn't there before is awesome- don't we all crave that?

3girlsmom said...

loved his talk too! love the table! it looks great! we've done some things like that too, tv console, bookshelves, dresser (okay we paid someone to do that one b/c i was pregnant.) but i always try to remember mrs. frizzle from the magic school bus:"it's time to get messy and make mistakes!" sometimes that helps me just dive right in and go for it.

can't wait to see what you put on it. pictures are always a winner. and the holidays are coming. just throw some seasonal things on there until you know for sure what you want. that will take you all the way until jan! have fun!

Kristin said...

I loved his talk as well. I loved how he allowed so much to be encompassed in the what we can create. Even laughter when it wasn't there before. I needed his words, for sure. Conference in general was amazing. I was so spiritually fed and uplifted. It was amazing.

I LOVE your table. I think you are so talented in so many, many things. You did, and do, a fabulous job. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.