Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Hopes for a New Library

"The richest person in the world - in fact all the riches in the world - couldn't provide you with anything like the endless, incredible loot available at your local library." ~Malcolm Forbes
In November while we are all voting for our choice for President, I will also be voting for a new library. My town has a small library (much too small) and funding is short (what's new) so a bond elections has been set up and we will vote on whether or not the public wants a new library.

The picture above is a rendering of the proposed library -- isn't it beautiful?! Who wouldn't want a beautiful new building to house beautiful new books? Not to mention have rooms available for children's and adult programs. Right now there is no where to sit and read in our library and for every new book purchased one has to be taken off shelves because there is no room. My property taxes will go up about $5 per month which is so little when I see what we get in return. So any of you that live here -- I hope you will also vote for books!

"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library." ~Jorge Luis Borges


8 comments:

Robyn said...

Wow, I hope you get your new library! I think $5 is nothing to pay for a nice, new library. When we lived in Provo I absolutely loved that big, historic building. We appreciated it every time we went through the doors. My kids still ask to go there whenever we're in Provo, how great is that?! Good luck with the vote!

Unknown said...

I go to our library regulary, and I definitely agree that it is out dated and small. Hopefully the community here will see the need for this. .. I also want a new rec center and pool. when do we get to vote for that?

Heidi said...

I think the rec center is the next project the city is going to tackle...after the major road overhaul on 4th south and the city buildings and fire station and....

3girlsmom said...

that is an awesome building! i hope it goes through! our closest library is being expanded right now and is closed down for 18 mo so we go to the next closest one. (perks of being in a big city). but we'll be glad to get ours done and have a new, bigger one!

Kristin said...

If I lived in SFork I would be all over that one!! It is a lovely building. i hope it passes.

Mindy said...

heidi, put in an extra vote for me, the reading fool (lol). my town's library has had to cut back on hours, staff, purchases, etc...but then again, i can still check out books. just finished dracula. loved it.

Chantel said...

That is awesome I hope you get it. Mostly because if I ever get to move back to Utah Valley I would want to live in Springville. So its all for selfish reasons.

Michelle said...

I need to go and take my kids to the library more. I will VOTE for a library. I do love to read. You should read the great and terrible series by Chris Stewart. They are so good. They help me see things clearer and differently. I highly reccommend them and my whole fam has read them.