Thursday, February 26, 2009

Some Good New & Some Bad

I recently received some good news and some bad.
Lets start with the good...

Yesterday, I got the mail just like I do every afternoon (unless Cord beats me to it). Imagine my surprise as I sorted though the bills & junk mail to find a letter for me. No ones sends me letters -- well except my mom & this wasn't her handwriting.

So I opened up the letter and who should be staring back at me...Shauna! She sent this great bookmark with the BEST picture of her on it. I laugh just thinking about her taking this self portrait -- winking! She wrote a sweet note and it just made my day. Thanks Shauna! Now as I read my book for book club I will get a wink from Shauna like we have some sort of inside joke.


Now on to the bad news...

My friend Chantel sent me a very distressing e-mail this morning. She linked me to this article which states that a "team says it can predict which words are likely to become extinct - citing 'squeeze', 'guts', 'stick' and 'bad' as probable first casualties."

What?!

The article goes on to say that "the fastest-changing words are projected to die out and be replaced by other words much sooner. For example, 'dirty' is a rapidly changing word; currently there are 46 different ways of saying it ... As a result, it is likely to die out soon in English, along with "stick" and "guts".

Say it aint so!

So I encourage all of you to say, type and text "I love your guts" as often as you can so we may avoid the extinction of "guts".

4 comments:

Britney said...

I have to say that it isn't often that I laugh at both good and bad news.

1)That picture of Shauna is very funny! (And so sweet of her)

2)The fact that "guts" will become extinct and you consider it such bad news makes me chuckle -- even more so the fact that Chantel sent you that story b/c it made her think of you. Funny again!

It's been a good day for a laugh on your blog!

Robyn said...

I love the random GOOD MAIL from Shauna. That bookmark is so cute. Shauna is adorable.

Just so you know, my kids love to say "LOVE YOUR GUTS" every night at bedtime, so you can be confident we're doing our best to ensure that the word does not go extinct!!

Shauna said...

We will never let that word become extinct if only for you!!!
Guts, guts, and guts. And guts.

Shauna said...

And, I love you guts.