Friday, March 12, 2010

Weekend Food


I am making a grocery list of things we need this weekend.  Here are two things I will be making...




This is the easiest and most delicious Alfredo sauce.  I love the garlic flavor and really it is super quick to make.  We will be having it with a salad and asparagus. Mmmmm 


Guiltless Alfredo Sauce


2 C low-fat milk (not skim)
1/3 C (3 oz) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
2 T flour
1 t salt
1 T butter
3 garlic cloves
1 C grated Parmesan cheese

Toss the milk, cream cheese, flour, and salt in a blender. Process until smooth and set aside.

In a non-stick sauce pan, melt butter on med-high heat and add garlic. Stand above the pan (but not close enough to scald your face) and inhale. Ahhh...butter and garlic. Okay, now get cooking again. Let the garlic saute for about 30 seconds, you don't want to burn it. 



Then add milk mixture to the pan. Stir constantly for about 3 or 4 minutes or until it just comes to a simmer. Keep stirring and let it cook for a few minutes more. It should be much thicker now.
When it's nice and thick (it should look as thick as a normal alfredo sauce) remove the pan from the heat. Add the cheese, stir it up and then cover immediately. Let stand for at least 10 minutes before using. It will continue to thicken upon standing. Also, if you have leftovers in the fridge, the sauce will thicken almost into a solid. Just re-heat and add a little milk and it will be back to normal again


I got this recipe from the Our Best Bites blog.  I have made several things from their blog and they have all been super! You should check it out.




Then Saturday is the Preference Dance at the high school (girls choice formal).  Alli and several (5) of her friends decided that they wanted to make dinner for the guys so they are doing Cafe Rio salads.  Alli is responsible for dessert.  


We poured over our recipe books and blogs and decided on this cake from another favorite blog Bakerella.


It starts out with a cake mix so it should be pretty easy. I'll let you know how it goes. (We decided that we would just put the peanut butter cups on top.)


Peanut Butter Cup Cake

1 devil’s food cake mix
3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups chopped peanut butter cups (plus more for garnishing – I used 2 bags)
8 oz. dark chocolate, chopped
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup peanut butter
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat two 9-inch cake pans with non-stick cooking spray. Line with wax paper and coat paper.
  • In a large bowl, beat cake mix, eggs, buttermilk and vegetable oil on low for 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 2 minutes. Scrape down sides after 1 minute. Fold in 2 cups of the chopped peanut butter cups.
  • Pour batter into pans and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
  • Cool cakes completely.
  • Place chopped dark chocolate in a medium bowl. Bring cream just to a boil and then pour over chocolate. Whisk until chocolate melts. Add peanut butter and whisk until smooth.
  • Trim each cake layer so the tops are flat. Place one layer on a cooling rack and pour 1 cup frosting on top. Spread evenly with a spatula. Add second layer and pour remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Smooth out with spatula.
  • Allow frosting to set for a minute and gently press remaining chopped peanut butter cup pieces all over top and sides of cake. Place in refrigerator for about an hour to set. Remove and serve.
Have a good weekend!!!


5 comments:

Kristin said...

man that cake looks fantastic.

And thanks for the alfredo recipe--the one I use is definitely not guilt free . . . excited to try this one. happy weekend!

Karen said...

Remember how much I love you and Alli when you're cutting that cake.


Have you ever tried the Alfredo with skim or are you just prejudiced? I want to make it too. And pour it over that cake.

mycattripoli said...

oh i hope it all goes well and deliciously- i will never be able to let alli be old enough in my mind to go to a dance- i am stuck in 1999

Britney said...

Oh that cake......

I love that alfredo sauce recipe too -- it's so good!


Mercy that cakes!

The Prothero Gang said...

You know I should have gotten a piece of that cake since it was my birthday and all!!!!!