If I weren't so vain I would post a picture of my hands. But alas -- I am so vain (feel free to sing "You're So Vain by Carley Simon here).
The last several months have been pretty difficult for me. My joints have been so swollen and painful that I haven't been able to move. I could hardly stand most days or get dressed for that matter and walking was pretty funny looking. Cord being the amazing husband that he is has had to take over all of the housework with the help of the kids. He has even had to do my hair which is quite the feat! I know that for most people when they think of arthritis they think of old people and osteoarthritis, but what I have is an R.A. -- an autoimmune disease that causes chronic inflamation of the joints. Basically I will have it for the rest of my life.
I have had such a tough time asking for help or letting people (other than close friends & family) know just how bad things have been. It's a sad day after all when I have to ask Will to get the milk out of the refrigerator because I can't lift it myself! There were days I felt pretty sorry for myself. I worried that I would not be able to sew again or blog because both of these things were now too painful. I also worried that Will & Barry's only memories of me would be of me as an "old lady" mom who couldn't run & play like other mom's. Then there are my "man hands". My hands are so big & ugly (I told you I am vain :) ha)
But then I had to kick myself and look at all my blessings. Yes, I have some physical trials that I am going to have to cope with -- so what. I have been blessed more than I deserve. I have a husband who is my best friend and he's pretty cute to boot. I have the laughter (and yes even the occasional scream) of children filling my house and I have wonderful friends. I also have the gospel of Jesus Christ which has strengthened me.
My brother Chris has R.A. too and I look to him as my great example. He was diagnosed when he was at BYU and has dealt with it wonderfully. He rarely complains and is still able to do so many things with his kids. He plays baseball & soccer with them and like I said I know he is in pain but keeps a smile on his face. I keep telling myself that I can do this -- I can be like Chris.
I have been on medication for 3 weeks now and I can't tell you the difference I feel. I can walk up & down stairs, lift, and even do my own hair! :) I feel blessed to have the availability of such good medical care. And I am filled with hope for the future.
So that it why I haven't been blogging much and that is also why I am now fat -- because what else was I supposed to do but read & eat peanut butter m&m's the last few months? And I guess I will continue on with the weight gain as a side effect of the meds -- that's me fat & happy! But hopefully I'll loose the man hands. ha! Thanks for all your kind words over the last while -- I consider myself lucky!
Monday, July 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
I have been thinking about you a lot lately. I kind of figured that your lack of blogging was probably a result of health problems. Funny how you can sure miss someone you've only "met" once in real life!
I don't know a thing about RA, but I do know that I consider you quite an example of strength and faith. I'm sure you will use those qualities as you make your way through this challenge. And I hope you know that you have a friend here in SJ praying for you and your family.
Heidi, I'm so glad to know the medication is making some difference. Yay!! We can be fat and happy together, no worries--but at least you have a real excuse. :) Love you.
Ah Heidi. For such a creative person as yourself I know this trial is all the more difficult. I'm sending my best thoughts and prayers that the medication will continue to help and you can get back to what you love, and even the things you didn't love before that you probably do now (like doing your own hair). We sure love you, Cord, and the kids.
I can so feel your pain! Curious as to what medicine you are on....Humira has worked wonders for me! I am glad to hear that it is working for you and you are feeling a little better! Way to stay so positive. You are an inspiration!
After watching you at girl's camp I know you will be able to do great things! You are such an example to me and I love to hear your laugh!! It's amazing and makes me laugh hard! Thank you for being my friend!
YOU'RE MY HERO...
I'm so thankful for you and for your attitude! You are a great example of strength and perseverance! I'm just sure that those boys love to be able to help their mom. I love you and am so glad you're feeling better!
Rachel -- i sent you an e-mail (you're my hero). I am taking methotrexate and prednison right now. Thanks everyone for your thoughts!
Oh Heidi Schmeidi. I'm so sorry you're having to go through this, but I"m glad the meds are starting to make a difference. You are my hero. I know you're going to pull through this like a champ and your man hands will still put my quilting to shame! :)
i have been thinking of you. ... so glad that your meds are helping a bit. it is no fun going through trials like this. you are so strong!! thank good ness for such a great family. keep smiling and laughing. . . love ya!
Yay! The meds are working!!! I'm so happy about that. You are a super great example of someone who can "accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative." Have you heard that song before? It could be your new theme song. Love your guts.
Heidi it sounds like it's been a rough road, but I am glad that you know what you're dealing with and there is medication to help you. I can't imagine you not blogging or quilting either- so I hope this will enable you to be creative and do what you're so good at.
Post a Comment