Last week the sun was out and I was motivated to get some things done. I cleaned out my linen closet and organized it -- which meant throwing a lot of old sheets & towels away. Whoo hooo! It felt so good and I found myself randomly opening the door to admire my handiwork. I also cleaned the guest/sewing room (aka "green room") and the kids and I really scrubbed down the living room -- including window sills, dusting and editing video games and DVD's. Things were starting to look good around here.
and
then
it
got
cold
again...
sigh...
sigh - a little louder...
So today as I look up at the snow on the mountain I am finding lots of things to do besides what I am suppose to be doing. Do you ever have days like that where you just can't seem to make yourself get up and go?
I find that making a list helps me stay focused or at least it is a gentle reminder that there are things that need to be done beside catching up with my DVR or reading random blogs or even quilting. Today only feel like doing little tasks or even better -- no tasks -- I'll save the big ones for tomorrow (or the next day...or the next).
About a month ago I attended an enrichment about depression -- one suggestion the speaker made has to be implemented today.
She suggested that when you are in a "funk" you give yourself a "five minute rule". Meaning that say your dishes need to be done, (who me?) you set your timer and tell yourself that you only have to do them for 5 minutes. I am often surprised by how much I can get done in 5 minutes. And usually after 5 minutes I can carry on for a few more and finish the task at hand. Then BONUS I get to cross something off my list. I love to cross things off my list.
So I guess I'll stop blogging now & go do my dishes for 5 minutes!
Oh & my s.i.l. Kim said she has tried this a few times and it has worked for her too. You know incase you needed a second opinion.

7 comments:
Good idea! I've used it when I go running-I only have run one lap and then I'll go home, but I don't think I've ever stopped there. Never thought about using the idea with housework. Of course, I'd rather run than clean my house (and I don't even really LIKE running!)
I love your ambition. Can you come to my house and clean when the weather gets nice again? I just want to eat all day and that's it.
I have a day like that about.... once a week. I will say it can wait until Saturday, then until I get some vaction time, then...maybe I'll play sick from work to catch up. The sunshine makes a huge difference. Well of to do and wash and cross it off my list.
It's funny you mention the "5 minute" rule! Last Saturday I was trying to wash the floors and 6 hours later I timed myself and it took 12 minutes to get it done.
Strange how that works.
I also think we need days like this to re-charge. Idea days.
Think tank.
So funny -- I had the same kind of day yesterday -- I felt so scattered and I didn't get anything done. Thanks for the 5 minute idea. I find it to be true over and over, that once I just DO it, the task usually only takes a few minutes.
I also like to cross things off of a list. There is a sense of satisfaction that comes from knowing exactly what you accomplished. So many times I don't write down all of the DAILY stuff that I do that takes so much time and then I get to the end of the day and I feel like I didn't get anything done. But, if I have a list and can cross things off it brings to my attention exactly how my time was spent.
Thanks for the reminder and the boost. (Here's to the nice weather coming back!!!)
I had to laugh when I read this yesterday because I had looked at my floor for several days thinking, "I really should wash that!"
So, I finally got down on my hands and knees and got it done this morning. It didn't take nearly as long as I'd envisioned. (I'm sure I spent much more time thinking about cleaning it than actually doing it)! And, now it feels so good to have it done.
Thanks for the motivation.
I've heard that you should never go through your mail twice (in order to save time and eliminate clutter). Today, I got a new debit card in the mail, but had to call the 1-800 # to activate it. I was about to set it aside for later, and thought, "No, just do it now!" Of course it took less than 5 min. and now I don't have to think about it again.
I also LOVE making lists. I had to laugh when Robyn made a list of everything we were going to eat and do when my mom came to visit!
Post a Comment