Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Catching up with Cole & Lily


Today is crazy hair day for Cole & Lily. Their school celebrates Dr. Seuss's birthday with a literacy week. Each day they get to dress up. Tomorrow is "dress up as your favorite Dr. Seuss character". So here they are sporting their "crazy hair". Cole doesn't have much hair so we tried to spike what little there is. Lily had a ton of pony tails with various colored ribbons.
What fun it is to be a kid!

Cole was in the science fair at school. It is optional for 5th graders but he really wanted to do it. Cole LOVES science. For his project he wanted to see if he could build a motor with household objects. He decided that you could -- but only if you had some copper wire laying around.

He worked on the project all by himself. Since he loves to take things apart and figure out how they work this was a great project for him. In fact one day he came home from school with a computer cpu. I was a little alarmed. Where did you get that!?

It turns out his (wonderful) teacher Mr Earl had given it to Cole so he could take it apart.

The school had a chance to go through the science fair and check out all the projects. Lily was pretty proud of her brother. I must say that I was too. Cole recently got an award for being in the top 10% of U.S. students who took the Iowa test in the science category.

A few weeks ago Lily's class had a Cinderella day. As part of it they dressed up and learned how to ballroom dance. So fun! She has such a creative teacher!

Last week the 2nd graders preformed their patriotic program. The kids were all dressed in red white or blue and formed a flag on stage. They sang patriotic songs and amazingly all repeated the preamble to the constitution. Here Lily is with her one of her BFF's Tani

This is Lily's amazing teacher Mrs. Sugu. Lil just loves her so much.



Lily & Tani quoted Theodore Roosevelt for their portion. It was a really long quote but Lily being the champ that she is did a great job & had it memorized in two days.

Sorry for the poor filming. I used my digital camera because I forgot the video camera. And please excuse the child that kept waking in front of me. I tried to trip him but he jumped.

8 comments:

Kara said...

So much fun to find your blog. I miss being a kid sometimes. Henry wants to do a science fair project, but I've been too wussy to help him. Maybe I'll muster up some energy for it now.

Shauna said...

I think a good teacher can move mountains with a child. I still remember a great teacher I had and see his influence in me today. Yeah for Mrs. Sugu!!! Lily is such a character.

Britney said...

I am so jealous!!! OH to be a kid again!!! I LOVE that they celebrate Dr. Seuss's bday and with literacy week -- great idea. I also LOVE that Lily's class had a Cinderella day! She really has a great teacher!!!!

As for Cole....
WAY TO GO TIGER!!! Just kidding -- seriously, that is way cool. You are one smart kid Cole. Now Anders will think you are even cooler! Science Fair!!!! Top 10% in science!!! You are the new version of a rock star -- a science rock star! Way to go!!!!
(Heidi, I don't blame you for being so proud of him.)

Robyn said...

Wow, how impressive of Lily to memorize the long quote. You gotta love inspired, motivating teachers. Priceless.

It's so cute that Cole loves science. I am so impressed by his choice for the science fair and the fact that he's dragging a CPU home to play with. Wow.

Debra said...

Sheesh. The Udall kids strike again! Will the cuteness never end?

Karen said...

Cute kids!! And smart too!!

Kristin said...

Aren't great teachers such a blessing?? Your kids are great.

3girlsmom said...

looks like you all have been busy beavers! cute pictures! i love crazy hair day. they don't do that at the girls school here. they did at sarah's previous two schools and it was always fun to see the kids creation.

congrats to cord! what a science dude! that is great!

love the tp done by alli's team! brings back many a fond memory for me. there's nothing like slumber parties and toilet papering!

and the quilt is sooooo nice. love it! happy spring!