Friday, March 13, 2009

"How To" speeches

Today in Lily's class the students all gave a "how to" speech where they had to explain to their fellow pupils how to accomplish a task. I love this idea. First because it gives the kids a chance to work on their public speaking. Second because their self-esteem gets a boost after accomplishing such a project. And third because it teaches them the process of completing a project, where they have to think through each step.

The kids all chose things like how to tie a tie, make lemonade or a peanut butter & jelly sandwich. I can't wait to hear what other things the kids in her class did this afternoon.

Lily decided that she wanted to show he class how to make her favorite treat...popcorn balls with m&m's. No small task in my opinion but she was pretty insistent (she can be that way) so I caved.

Now we didn't have a stove or a hot plate after all this isn't the Today Show. So we did a few "swap outs". Here she is starting out -- explaining what she will be making and what ingredients are needed.

She did a great job explaining everything. I think she has a future on the Food Network. She even wore an apron because "you are suppose to when you are cooking".

The final step in the process is to share with your friends -- which she did . The popcorn balls were a hit with the second graders!

Here is the recipe in case you would like to make these tasty treats:

2 quarts popped popcorn
10 pkg large marshmallows
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1 cup m&m's

1. Put the popcorn in a large bowl and set aside.
2. In a medium sauce pan melt the marshmallows with the butter & brown sugar.
3. Pour the melted mixture on top of the popcorn and stir.
4. Add the m&m's
5. Butter your hands and for the popcorn into balls
6. Share with your friends!

14 comments:

Debra said...

Can she come demonstrate for me?
: )

Heidi said...

I'll send her right over!

It sounds like the day was a hit. She even learned how to make a balloon animal and do a skateboard trick!

Marcie Ashton said...

She sounds like one amazing girl!

The Vests said...

Go Lily! I remember, I did mine on how to eat an Oreo cookie.

3girlsmom said...

look out rachael ray!

Anya said...

Heidi, does she go to Brookside? I am very impressed for all the projects/plays,etc that she's been involved in. Art City doesn't do it. I'm kind of bumped about that.
May be I should transfer my kids over there for next year.

Marcie Ashton said...

Hey Heidi-Mindy has set up a blog about the class of 1989 high school reunion. The link is on my blog. Anyway-just thought you may be interested.

Robyn said...

What a confident girl. This reminds me of her Fancy Nancy play- she is such a performer! I love that she wore an apron and insisted on doing her own idea. Thanks for sharing the recipe. You know we're definitely going to be making those! Good job Lily!!!

Britney said...

That is so cool! They do the best things in her class!! It looks like she did a great job. She is one cute girl!

Thanks for the recipe!

Kristin said...

mmmm . . . those look absolutely yummy. thanks for the recipe.

ANd what a great idea for elementary kids to do--I agree with you on what that teaches them. Good job Lily.

Unknown said...

she takes after her mom!
pretty impressive.

Christie said...

She looks so cute up there. I love it that her teacher takes the time to help the kids grow in ways that are just as important, if not more important, than strictly academically.

Shayla said...

Lily rocks! Hope you Springville Udalls are enjoying this sun.

Brigham said...

I wish I had been there to see her in action! Plus, they look yummy too. Good job Lillums!