Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Fall Break


Each fall our family heads up to Idaho to rake leaves at my grandma's house. Cord and I have been going each fall since we were married and I even went each fall when I was at Ricks college. So I would definitely say it's a tradition. (make sure you are saying tradition in your best Fiddler on the Roof accent)

The kids really look forward to our trip and have a great time playing in the leaves.

But this year...

there were no leaves!!


Perhaps our fall break was a little early this year, or maybe it is the beautiful weather we have been having, but there wasn't a whole lot of raking to do this year.

We still kept ourselves busy doing whatever we could to help Grandma K.

We cleaned her house and washed the windows, flipped the mattress and helped organize her shed. We also sealed the new grout in the bathroom and kitchen and helped her shop for photo albums.


We also jumped off her rocks...


Soaked up the sun...


Played hide & seek...



Played Wiffleball, soccer and football...




And visited Shoshone Falls. Isn't the snake river beautiful?!


















Grandma and I also made a lemon cake that had 4 (yes 4) sticks of butter and 8 (yes 8) eggs in it!! Baking is something my grandmother is famous for I hope to equal her talent some day.

We had such a good time hanging out with Grandma K. I can't begin to tell you how much I love her and love the fact that my kids get to have a chance to spend time with such an amazing woman.

It's not often that kids get to know their great-grandmothers and I am so glad that we have had so many chances to create memories with her.


We are crossing our fingers that me get to see her at Christmas!!

8 comments:

Lindy said...

Heidi, I LOVE that last picture! It really is so neat they get to know their great-grandma. What a great tradition you guys have, and I'm sure she looks forward to it for months!

Unknown said...

how did you get your pictures so big and awesome looking??
they are great pictures, and no wonder you sprained your wrist. .. working so hard!
and also. . .why is cord at the game without you?? and more importantly, how could he leave you right now?

Michelle said...

these pictures are awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Marcie Ashton said...

Living in Arizona, I forget that the world can be so green and that water actually comes in big rivers like that. Wonderful pictures!

Britney said...

I agree....great photos! Love them! This is my kind of tradition. I absolutely love it.

P.S. Cole looks so old and grown up swinging that bat. Love that photo of Cord and Barry.

Christie said...

I was thinking the same as Britney--that Cole looks grown up. He's starting to look like a mini-Cord. We've been to those falls, too. Myles used to have fam. reunions there as a kid. What a beautiful world we live in, and what a beautiful fam. you have. Glad you got to spend time with your grandma. What a treat.

Robyn said...

How did you get your photos so HUGE? They look great. Mine look so tiny on my blog. Please tell!

Looks like a fun weekend in Idaho. Love traditions, love spending time with family, love baking.

Kristin said...

I am loving your BIG pictures!! They are all beautiful. (The monsters are hilariouls BTW)

Jon grew up in in Twin Falls--his parents moved last year to Rigby. He has tons of family there, though. Been to Shoshone many a time. I didn't know you had family there.