Friday, August 21, 2009

Garden Basil


We have had a plethora of basil in the garden this year. Last year I had every intention of making batches of pesto and freezing it for the cold winters but alas I was a slacker. So this year I was determined to accomplish the task.



Pasta last night and panini's tonight! Plus some in the freezer.

Dang I'm good aren't I ? And just in case you want to make some of your own...

Pesto
makes about 4 cups

1/2 cup walnuts
3 Tbs diced garlic
5 cups fresh basil, packed
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 1/4 cup good olive oil
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Place the walnuts and garlic in your food processor and process for 30 seconds. Add the basil, salt & pepper. With the processor running, slowly pour the olive oil into the bowl through the feed tube and process until the pesto in finely pureed. Add the Parmesan and puree for one minute more. Serve, or store (in refrigerator or freezer) in an air tight container with a thin film of olive oil on top. Enjoy!

9 comments:

Kristin said...

mmmmm . . . .looks fantastic!!

David and RaieGene Robison Family said...

Just look so good. Thanks

Rachel said...

you really are amazing aren't you! Cord is a lucky man! Would love to have time to be the homemaker you are! SOMEDAY!

Christie said...

mmmm....looks SO yummy!

Marcie Ashton said...

Wow. That looks so good. I'd like to say I'd try making some, but I may be lying. So, I will just admire yours from afar.

k8shoe said...

Yay! I've been thinking about looking for a good pesto recipe. Thanks for saving me some time! By the way, how do you thaw your pesto when you take it out of the freezer?

Karen said...

YUMMO!! That looks divine!!

Robyn said...

Yum, can I come to dinner?

Britney said...

Looks delicious! I need to get on that and get some made. Stop showing me up so much! ;)