Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Garden Boxes Part II

On Monday for FHE we all hopped into the minivan and headed to the nursery in search of goodies for the garden. The kids picked out the veggies they wanted to plant in our new garden boxes. Cole really wanted broccoli and Will really wanted purple heirloom tomatoes (isn't he such a Martha?) Lily chose some yellow pear tomatoes and Barry just wanted to pull the wagon around the nursery as fast as humanly possible. By the time we got home there wasn't much time left for planting so we had ice cream cones and called it a night.

So on Tuesday night we resumed our gardening. Cole helped Cord mix in some compost -- when he realized that it was really steer manure he wasn't too happy with his footwear choice.

And here are my two Price is Right models showing off the plants before they went in the ground.


While I was helping Cole build a mound to plant the squash (butternut squash -- my choice) on Will decided to help by planting one of the tomatillo starts (Cord's choice) he seems to be a little close to the edge what do you think? While we were gardening I like to wear gloves -- you know to protect my manicure HA! -- well I guess at some point Will went in the house and found himself a glove too.

Barry was so glad to be diging in the dirt with my permission that he just went to to town. I found the kids these cute little hand rakes and they had so much fun digging holes and making squiggly patterns in the dirt -- they were feeling very zen. Cord and I however weren't as we argued over how close together the tomato plants should be. :)


And finally... no veggie garden would be complete with out a garden ninja.

I'm so excited to have a garden this year, hopefully the kids will stay interested in what is growing and fight over who gets to weed (ok I know I'm dreaming there). I love eating fresh tomatoes, basil and sweet red peppers in the summer. The tomatillos will make good chille verde and we will have some wonderful butternut squash soup in the fall. I'm looking forward to a good harvest!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it! Especially the garden ninja! :) hee hee hee
It's so fun you have the whole family involved and have the patience to let the whole family be involved. Sometimes too much help is just too much help. :) But, it looks like the kids were great help and loved doing it. I hope you'll invite me over for some chili verde!!! mmmmm! (Or something with tomato and basil!)

Anonymous said...

You make gardening with kids look like fun! I see you're a good photographer but you do have very cute models.

Unknown said...

you do make it look fun. in fact, it is even making me wish i was doing it myself. great pics.

Unknown said...

You guys are awesome! Looks like the kids really got into it, and who needs a scarecrow when you have a garden ninja ;)

Mindy said...

what a fun family outing and project. i hope your crops grow and you and cord continue to argue about tomato plants. remind the old man (lol) that our 20 year reunion is fast approaching. and will the ninja is adorable.