
So I am sitting here thinking about what I want to say...
I could ponder the episode of LOST I watched last night (are the Oceanic 6 really dead as Hurley suggests?). I could talk American Idol -- the tearful dismissal of Brooke White or the wacky Paula Abdul. I could discuss Milie Cyrus and her lolita photos in Vanity Fair. I could talk Hillary, Barack, or Johnny-Boy, hey I could just turn on The View and find a myriad of topics to rant about. Instead I will focus on one of the things I dread most in life -- the sock basket.
With 5 kids and two adults in the family the socks we accumulate on laundry day is staggering. How do we own so many or more importantly how are so many dirty? And why don't any of them match?
On laundry day (more like days) I fold the clean clothes on in living room making neat piles for each member of the family to take to their rooms. I am a little picky about how things are folded (this annoys Cord) and I do try to organize the piles of clothes by type (all jeans and pants on the bottom of the stack followed by shirts undies on top etc.). But then I get to the pile of socks that are left over. UGH! I hate looking at that pile.
So I start trying to match the colors socks first, followed by the boys socks with gray toes and heels, then there are the ones with just a gray heel or the ones with red stitching of the toe...inevitably there is a stack of socks with no mate so they get placed in the "sock basket" to matched at a later date.
The problem is that day never comes -- soon the basket is overflowing as it was yesterday. And yesterday is the day Will & Barry decided to pretend they were at a parade and they threw sock confetti all over my room. I HATE the sock basket!

11 comments:
WELL. I'm just glad you didn't say anything about MY socks. :D and don't even think about it. geez. You know you could ask my help to sort through them... I don't mind it too much.
Well lets see... how many times have I busted out the sock basket for some help -- and how many times has the dreaded sock basket been met with sheiks, screams and "NOOOOOOO!" from you and your siblings?
P.S. All of Alli's socks have holes in the heels! :D
Heidi. Let's talk about crazy Paula! We laughed so hard! Your kids are all grown up. It's so fun to "see" you guys on here. Send me your email address...my blog's private. We need to catch up:) nodrac@gmail.com Yes, that is Cardon spelled backwards. Angie
Not true. Only some of them. :D
I don't know why this sounds all so familiar. Was it a dream..oh yes..I remebember I use to do the same thing. But we Never owned the amount of socks the Udalls do:)
Tell Cord, I can't for the life of me figure out where in the world you go the notion that the clothes needed to be folded just sooo, and organized piles to boot (or to sock!)
I have found that when I do the socks along with the clothes while I'm folding it doesn't seem so overwhelming. The times I just sort the socks and put them off to the side they always stay in the basket until the next time I do laundry. oh yeah.. and Chris tried to tell me once I needed to mend his socks that had holes in them. Uh.. yeah right.
And I wonder where Chris got the ides that his socks needed to be mended?
Just wear flip-flops! (I had too many spelling errors in my last post for my OCD to over-look so I am re-posting!) We actually have the same hellish dilema at the Cottle house and it's Brett's job to fold the sox and then distribute them to their rightful owners. The problem is that even after the millions apon millions of times he has matched the sox, he still can't tell to whom they belong...I love to find my sox in Tess's drawer! Hello? Can you not see the size difference there? Poor Brett...so unappreciated!
Ha, I love the term "sock confetti". That is great. My laundry goes on forever and ever and we only have 5 people in our family. I can imagine your pain.
I could go on and on about this Miley Cyrus thing. Seriously- did you see the quote that said it was all so innocent and natural with hardly any makeup? Um, who had the dark red lipstick then and since when does that qualify as 'natural'? Ok I will stop. I thought the picture was awful (obviously). I think she made a major mistake, or should I say, her parents did.
I have yet to try this one but I think it's a good idea - To Keep socks together try clipping or safety pinning matching socks together as soon as you take them off; They can go into the washer and dryer that way and stay matched. Or just do it the Shannon way and purchase a bag of socks each time you are at Wal-mart or Target - buy an in-between size and you kids have sock for a week. I still have yet to figure out what to do with all the jumbo bags of single socks down in my basement...hey...that just gave me an idea for an Enrichment Night Activity!!!!
Post a Comment