Monday, May 12, 2008

Yet Another School Project


In Cole's fourth grade class they have been studying the state of Utah. So this week he is supposed to bring a covered wagon to school. His instructions were to be creative and use whatever materials he wanted. So after brainstorming he decided to make his out of candy.
After spending too much time in the candy aisle Cole decided that pixie sticks would make the perfect base. Here he is constructing the wagon. We taped several together and then joined them at the corners.
We used some floral wire and made the frame for the "covered" part of our wagon. Then Cole pressed on the fruit roll-up for the cover -- such a beautiful shade of strawberry :)

Next came the wheels. We pushed wire through the spaces between the pixie sticks and added our Oreo wheels. Because the wire goes straight through to the other side connecting a pair of wheels and making an axle the wheels actually turn!

And here is the finished project. Wagons ho! You probably can't see it but there are two very cute cinnimon bears riding shot gun on this wagon. Cole did a great job!

P.S. A few hours later Cole played his first baseball game this season. He made several great plays (he played first base) He even ran into the fence going for a foul ball -- I wish the highlights were on ESPN.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is awesome!! Great job Cole! I love it! I'm all about anything that can be made out of candy -- it always just likes like so much more fun than boring stuff. I will probably copy this someday if one of my children ever has to make a covered wagon. :)

Anonymous said...

Way to go Cole! I love it. Are you going to eat it after you're done?

Robyn said...

I'm with Britney. I need to start filing away these ideas for later use! You are definitely Super Mom to be helping with all these projects. I guess I need to stop complaining about piano practice. At least there's no creativity required!

Anonymous said...

Just testing.

Anonymous said...

That was me, just testing. I really like the wagon. Way to go Cole.

Unknown said...

so creative, and yummy too! I for one will be glad for the summer break and also a bread from school projects. How is Cole's team this year?

Heidi said...

Sadly Cole's team lost their first two games -- but he is playing well and having fun so that's what counts...right?

And Shauna you are too funny!