Friday, May 16, 2008

Mormon's on TV

I was talking to my sister-in-law Sym this morning and she told me about an article in Newsweek about Mormons on TV. I think it's funny that it is even a subject for discussion and and article in Newsweek. The article starts with ....

"A few months ago, "American Idol" alum Carmen Rasmusen (second season, sixth place) was watching her old show when she heard Brooke White tell the judges that she'd never seen an R-rated movie. "My husband and I just looked at each other and said, 'She's totally Mormon'," says Rasmusen, who is as well. "I mean, who else would say something like that?" Apparently, Mormons aren't too hard to spot these days. In fact, so many have colonized reality TV's landscape, it's as if they've been assigned there by Brigham Young himself. They've won "The Biggest Loser," "The Rebel Billionaire" and "Survivor" (along with two second-place finishes on "Survivor"). You can't turn on "So You Think You Can Dance" or "Dancing With the Stars" without seeing at least one. And they're closing in on the biggest reality-TV prize of all: cherub-faced David Archuleta is one of three finalists left on "American Idol," and his chances just soared following White's recent elimination. Now they don't have to split the faithful's vote anymore."

It goes on to talk about why so many members are on shows -- click here to read the whole article. So what do you think? Newsweek observed that "...there's another reason you see so many Mormons on reality shows—they're really good at them. Coming from a large family, as many of these competitors do, probably helps in "Survivor," with its complicated group dynamics that can mirror sibling rivalry. "They also have these incredible experiences through their missions and can relate to being dropped off in the middle of somewhere they've never been and having to make it," says Lynne Spillman, a casting director for "Survivor" and "The Amazing Race." But it's not just the competitive shows. Spillman says that Mormons—maybe it is those Osmond-like smiles?—just make for great TV. "There must be something about the Mormon community that makes these people so self-confident and so open," she says. And dare we say it: so like an "Idol."

6 comments:

Brigham said...

Hey Heidi,

I love looking at your blog. Thanks for sharing. Just wanted to let you and everyone else know that my friend and I have a plan to go home early so we can compete on "Amazing Race." We're going for the "Army LTs who just got back from Iraq" angle. Our video will be cool, I promise. Do you know if any Mormons have been on that show? Maybe I can check that one off the list for the TV gods...

Heidi said...

I think Mormon Army men is a great angle. I think there were two Mormon brothers on it once.

And whatever the reason any way we can get you home early would be great!

Robyn said...

This is such an interesting article. It's so true that Mormons are good at reality TV. I remember watching that Richard Bronson reality show years ago and they were in Hong Kong. When they showed one guy speaking Chinese, something said, "RM!" to me. Turned out he was.

Robyn said...

Oh, I have to add... my husband and his BF are dying to do Amazing Race. They are sure they can win. Now, if only my husband was a US citizen!

Heidi said...

Come on Robyn -- you should do it -- you speak Thai and run marathons you should be up for a run at the Amazing Race!

Anonymous said...

Chris and I talked about going on the amazing race. I told him I would never go on with him because we would fight the whole time.
Ha Ha! I would turn into a crazy person under that kind of chaos and stress.