Sunday, September 6, 2009

For Shauna & her Nan


My dear friend Shauna lost her Nan today. Shauna has been taking care of her grandmother in her home, making her comfortable and loving her these last few days. I am so sad and my heart aches for Shauna and her family. I am so grateful for my grandparents especially my grandmothers who I have had a chance to know and love (and be spoiled by).
Shuana, I am thinking about you and Nan today.
Here is what Shauna wrote about her Nan about six months ago...

I've never known a day without my Nan (my grandmother)
I've never went to bed or awoke in the morning without knowing she was
When I was a little girl and thought that she may go to heaven I just thought I would go with her I followed her everywhere why not there too
After all, heaven was supposed to be super so I'd just go with her
I didn't know then what I was thinking or how I'd get there I just knew I would always be with her
I don't know how to live without her
I don't remember a day in my life she hasn't been my best friend
She has always loved me more than anyone
She would sacrifice anything for me and make it look effortless
She has sacrificed everything possible for me
I can look into her eyes and find complete acceptance and comfort there
I don't know how to live without her
She seldom tries to answer my saddness with a reply only comfort
She tells a great joke and always has a ready supply
Sometimes she tells the same joke over and over and we always have a laugh
Her laugh is contagious and always from the heart
The service she gives in unparalleled
She's selfless
She's brave
She's wise
She's strong
She's always a lady
She's game for almost anything
She's the most eccentric person I've ever known
She's the baby of 12 children
She's more like me than anyone I know
We are almost like mirror images only I've been tweaked
She has survived against many odds
She has outlived all of her siblings most all of her nieces and nephews
She's taught me to love complete
She tells a story like no other
Her stories are so real and so vivid that I feel I was a child with her
She has impeccable taste
I could give you an audible tour of her childhood home
She took me to see birds everyday
Her favorite animal is a swan
She took me to ride elevators
She can spot the choicest diamond with her naked eye
She has a friend or someone she knows everywhere she goes
She loves Utah
She was a beauty queen
She is the prettiest lady I've ever known
She's gullible
She can play a game (and win) like a champ (she has a great poker face)

I try to fill an imaginary bucket drop by drop with thoughts (tiny thoughts) of living without her so it can somehow be bearable but the bucket never gets full
Now she's sick and she's old and her body is getting to heavy for her

4 comments:

Robyn said...

This is such a sweet post Heidi. I know Shauna is so close with her Nan and I've been amazed by the unending service she has given in these last months and days. I loved reading the touching memories of Nan and I hope Shauna realizes that she is so much like her! What a blessing Nan has been in her life and will be forever, because she has helped to shape who Shauna is. A person we all love dearly. Shauna, you are in our thoughts and prayers. We love you.

Brenda said...

You're quite a lady Miss Udall. I'm honored to know such a person with a heart of gold!

Christie said...

I love my memory of eating watermelon with Shuana and Nan on her porch.

Britney said...

Love you Shauna!