
"In Europe the most magnificent places, the palaces, the parks are owned by aristocrats, by monarchs, by the wealthy. In America magnificence is a common treasure, that's the essence of our democracy"-Carl Pope
Tonight we sat as a family and watched the latest documentary by Ken Burns - The National Parks:Americas Best Idea.
It is on PBS and I can't recommend it enough.
Tonight's episode was on Yosemite in my beloved California and Yellowstone a place that reminds me of my Grandmother who loves to be there. There are six episodes total and I can't wait to watch them. Does that make me a nerd?
The kids, Cord & I had a great time looking at all the amazing scenery and learning about these marvelous places. Cord and I love to take the kids to the National Parks that are near us and we are lucky that we have 10 parks fairly close. The kids had much more interest in the documentary because they have had a chance to hike around several of the places they saw.
I am so glad that we decided to take an extra day on our trip this summer to go to the Grand Canyon -- so they could see one of the most amazing places on earth. I love beauty and am grateful for the preservation of such place beauty and grandeur. It also is making me a little itchy for another road trip. Maybe we'll have to head out once more before winter sets in.
The kids, Cord & I had a great time looking at all the amazing scenery and learning about these marvelous places. Cord and I love to take the kids to the National Parks that are near us and we are lucky that we have 10 parks fairly close. The kids had much more interest in the documentary because they have had a chance to hike around several of the places they saw.
I am so glad that we decided to take an extra day on our trip this summer to go to the Grand Canyon -- so they could see one of the most amazing places on earth. I love beauty and am grateful for the preservation of such place beauty and grandeur. It also is making me a little itchy for another road trip. Maybe we'll have to head out once more before winter sets in.
This is a picture taken by some of the first visitors to Yellowstone. I love the guy hold up his hat and the women there in their skirts. I am thankful I get to visit in shorts!I hope you have a chance to visit a National Park soon. All of you out of staters could visit Bryce... and visit me too!




4 comments:
I'm excited to see what he has to say about the Utah parks. I love Ken's stuff. I feel a lot better about watching his shows on Sunday than I do about watching Desperate Housewives. But I keep watching. That show just makes me laugh. I guess I understand the meaning of guilty pleasure. Did you see Katherine stirring the sauce in Susan's gown? Sooo funny. And Lynnette in the OB lobby with the first time mom cracked me up too.
So cool! I'll have to check that out. And no, it doesn't make you a nerd. So many other things you do make you a nerd. :) just kidding!!!!
I love that we have such great national parks and I definitely need/want to make a better effort at making sure my kids get to see some of them.
I read about the making of this show in my readers digest a few months back. I love our national parks. My parents are park junkies and we visited so many when i was younger. I am so thankful for those memories and hope to do the same for our kiddos.
And no, you aren't a nerd. :-)
So cool. Have you seen the Disney Earth movie? We watched it as a fam. and thought it was pretty neat, too. You can get it at Red Box for $1.
Post a Comment