Fall is in the air. The mornings and evenings are cooler which make me want to spend more time sewing. Okay, okay I want to spend time sewing regardless of the weather but I end up doing it more in the fall & winter.
My quilt group decided that for the upcoming year we are going to do a block of the month for our meetings. Each month we will receive a pattern for a building (or two) that we are to complete before our next meeting. When the year is complete will will have a city.
The great thing about this project is that most of us are going to make our town. So we are changing the buildings (and adding a few like the Art Museum) a bit so they fit specific places here. I can't tell you how excited I am about this.
Last month we were to complete the church. Here is mine. I haven't added the grass, bushes, or tree yet. I don't think I will do any of the final "finish" work until I have my whole quilt finished, then I can have a better idea of what the whole quilt will look like and where I want to place each building. Plus I think I may want some of the grass to bridge over more than one block.
My quilt group decided that for the upcoming year we are going to do a block of the month for our meetings. Each month we will receive a pattern for a building (or two) that we are to complete before our next meeting. When the year is complete will will have a city.
The great thing about this project is that most of us are going to make our town. So we are changing the buildings (and adding a few like the Art Museum) a bit so they fit specific places here. I can't tell you how excited I am about this.
Last month we were to complete the church. Here is mine. I haven't added the grass, bushes, or tree yet. I don't think I will do any of the final "finish" work until I have my whole quilt finished, then I can have a better idea of what the whole quilt will look like and where I want to place each building. Plus I think I may want some of the grass to bridge over more than one block.
I have never done anything like this before -- you know with out a pattern. First, I had to draw a picture of my house...
Then I had to try and take away all the little details that would be too difficult to piece into the block...
Then I had to divide the house in to sections and divide each section into pieces that I could sew together...
It took forever -- and I hadn't even begun to sew! When it came time to sew it all together it took me about 5 hours! That's because I had to unpick things a few times. But now that it is done I have a real sense of accomplishment.
I did something I didn't think I could do. No it's not perfect but in the end I (hopefully) won't see the flaws and instead will see a fun quilt that I love -- and that I made stretching myself all the way.
I'll update you as I go so you can see the town come together.
I did something I didn't think I could do. No it's not perfect but in the end I (hopefully) won't see the flaws and instead will see a fun quilt that I love -- and that I made stretching myself all the way.
I'll update you as I go so you can see the town come together.

8 comments:
Well done...Sister wanlass would be so impressed and please...as I am
Wow! When I first looked at the block of your house (without reading that it WAS your house) I knew exactly what it was. And I've only seen your house it pictures.
So what I'm rambling on to say is that is FANTASTIC!
I am so stunned by your house! Wowza! I cannot even imagine the effort in trying to figure out all of those little pieces, and getting them cut right, and sewing them together right....yowza! You are a little quilting rockstar! I can't wait to see all of it together.
Yah!! You should check out Jonathan's aunt's new fabric line. It's with Henry Glass...Meet Me in the Meadow...Jillily Studio. I'm going to Houston in October for Quilt Market to help her. I think you'd really love the colors.
You freaking amaze me! Seriously, you are a domestic goddess and I stand in awe. I can't wait to see the finished product.
Well, I'm not really standing..but I lie on my back in my bed in awe.
Those are so cute! This quilt is going to look fantastic. I love how you are recording history in your quilting. Years down the road your family may not live in Springville, but they will always remember where they grew up or what Grandma's house looks like!! I am totally impressed by your skills, I can't imagine trying to create a block of my house- that actually looks like the house! It's awesome, you did a great job.
You are AMAZING !!!
Post a Comment