Friday, September 19, 2008

Can it be True?!?!

I was watching the news tonight and I saw a piece about lollipops that fight tooth decay. So I had to look it up. Here is what I found. BTW do you say lollipop or sucker? It seems that lollipop is more east coast while sucker is used more in the west...just curious.

What Willy Wonka did for chocolate, UCLA microbiologist Wenyuan Shi is doing for lollipops.

Because of Shi, thousands of orange-flavored lollipops are rolling out of a factory in Grand Rapids, Mich., into the hands of people eager to lick them for one reason only. Shi and his lab team at the School of Dentistry have managed to make candy that's actually good for your teeth. The orange-flavored, sugar-free lollipop they devised is infused with a natural ingredient found in licorice that kills the primary bacterium causing tooth decay, Streptococcus mutans.

Marketed as Dr. John's Herbal Candy, the lollipop, now available for purchase through a candy manufacturer.

It all emerges from a vision the microbiologist had eight years ago to apply a medical approach to dentistry - to identify the decay-causing pathogens among the 700 kinds of bacteria living in the human mouth, track their presence and then target them with antimicrobial "smart bombs" that he and his lab would engineer to kill the bad bacteria without harming the good. taken from http://www.sciencedaily.com

I want to get some!!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

that sounds very interesting. let me know if you try them and if they taste any good!
btw, luke did the same wax museum project last year. i thought it was pretty cool, but now i know i have to do it for three more kids. .. ahhh.

Unknown said...

oh, and i say sucker. west coast, i guess.

Robyn said...

Wow, that's pretty brilliant. Now don't hate me... but the only problem I have is that kids don't know the difference btwn that sucker and ones that contain sugar and cause tooth decay. So how do they learn to choose? Sorry, devil's advocate there.

Yes, we usually say sucker. In Australia they call all candy "lollies" so we say that sometimes too.

Robyn said...

Sorry I came back to say I LOVE your background color and pattern. I gotta get more creative on my blog!

3girlsmom said...

holy crap that's cool! yes, when i was a kid we called it a sucker and i was in california.

but, alas out here in the land of the east coasters we now call it a lollipop or a lolly for short.

same with tennis shoes. people out here seem to refer to them as sneakers instead, but i hold on strong to tennis shoes or tennies.

i could do a whole post on all the differences of words for west coast vs. east coast.

Kristin said...

Hmmm . . . can we say he's rich?

Used to say lollipop (born in Massachusetts, relocated to NC) then I moved out here. I still try to say lollipop--everyone else in my family says sucker.

Michelle said...

I say sucker of course lollipop is to formal for me. Bein a utah hick and all. O brother!!!