Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Finishing Up Some Projects - Starting others

Since school has started and we are in somewhat of a routine I have been able to carve out a little sewing time. So here are a few of the things I have finished and I won't list how many more I have waiting . Here is a bag I made. We learned how to make them last month in my quilt group. It it suppose to be a project bag so you can take your sewing, embroidery or whatever with you. I made two like this and gave one to Sym. I have one in progress that's in different fabric and it will have different handles too. I'll post a picture of it when I am done.

This bag is so easy to make. You are suppose to use two tea towels but I couldn't find two I really liked, so I used fabric. I'll post the instructions when I post the other bag. I really like how the pockets are on the outside because most of the time when I'm sewing I don't want to hunt around in the bag for scissors etc.


Here is a lap quilt I made for my mom. I finished the top way back in June but haven't been able to find the time to quilt it. I like to machine quilt it is fairly relaxing and it's so much faster than doing it by hand.

Each month at quilt group we take turns teaching each other a pattern or technique. But we also are to do some sewing during the month. In the past we have worked on a block a month which then made a full size quilt and the first half of this year we each made a 4th of July block (we made 9 of the same block) that we then exchanged to make our own quilt (that is one of my to do's). The last few months we have been doing a "mystery quilt"

This mystery thing has been so challenging for me. I am too much of a planner when it comes to quiting and I tend to second guess my color choices a lot. So it's very hard for me to just pick out fabric and sew with out knowing what the finished project will look like. The first month we had to buy fabric -- like I said this was painful. I stressed and still am stressed over it. The next month we had to cut our fabric into various sizes. That is what is pictures above.

Next we were to sew some of the squares into half square triangles and this month we will assemble them into groups of four. That is what I have to get done by next Thursday. I am very interested to see how it all turns out. I hope after all of this the quilt is not ugly! I'll keep you posted on my progress.

8 comments:

3girlsmom said...

holy quilter batman! that is one thing i have always wanted to learn how to do. years ago one of my girlfriends was going to show me how to do it, but alas, she moved!

i was going to do an ariel quilt for sarah! thought i would do it for savannah now maybe for gracie. but nobody around here quilts. i'll just send the fabric to you and you can do it for me!!!!

or maybe you could just move here and teach me. it looks like lots of fun. my mom said i should try that since i hate sewing. too exacting for me. tried it a few times, but i just can't get into it. sarah, on the other hand, was able to do it and made a skirt for savannah. my mom taught and helped her.

answer to your question on the pups. we have 3 more to sell, 2 are going to two of my sis in laws.

3girlsmom said...

forgot to tell you how fab your quilt and bag look! i envy your talent!!!!

Unknown said...

you do have an amazing talent. it is so nice that you have found a great hobby that you love and plus you create all these amazing and beautiful things! Wow, that is all I'm going to say about that.

Kristin said...

Holy smokes . . .you learn something new about people constantly. You are so talented!! WOW!!! You do beautiful, beautiful work. Awesome.

Shauna said...

I love the bag Heidi. Pockets are always a good thing unless they're on your hips. Your fabric choices are divine in my opinion.

Also, your Mom's quilt turned out beaufiful. Your Mom will be so happy. I would be (hint hint). Oh! That's right! I'm supposed to make my own. Will do.

Britney said...

You have been one busy quilting bee!!!! Your mom's quilt turned out so beautiful! I'm sure she'll love it. Very cute bag! I CANNOT WAIT to see how the mystery quilt turns out. I love love love your fabric.

mycattripoli said...

that bag is darling- i will attempt it when you post instructions- and i love the soft colors and patterns in your mom's quilt! (please keep posting your projects so we can see!)

symonie said...

I do love my bag! It was fun to see a photo of it on the blog. Maybe I should learn how to sew and use if for its true intent.