For Constitution Day on Wednesday the fifth graders at Cole's school made a wax museum comprised of people who had to do with independence, the Constitution, or freedoms we enjoy because of the Constitution. Cole chose to be Thomas Paine. Thomas Paine wrote "These are the times that try men's souls." as well as Common Sense a book that called America to arms.
Friday, September 19, 2008
What Cole's Been Up To
Cole has been playing flag football this year and it having a great time. Cord is helping to coach his team so the two of them are off together a few times a week. Next year Cole will get to put the pads on and start pushing people around.
I tried to take a few pictures but it was pretty dark so I couldn't really zoom in. Here he is getting ready to hike the ball.
Cole was running in at the half -- as you can tell he just loves having his picture taken.
For Constitution Day on Wednesday the fifth graders at Cole's school made a wax museum comprised of people who had to do with independence, the Constitution, or freedoms we enjoy because of the Constitution. Cole chose to be Thomas Paine. Thomas Paine wrote "These are the times that try men's souls." as well as Common Sense a book that called America to arms.
The kids all dressed up as the person they had chosen and then had to stand as still as they could. The kids from all the other classes came through the museum and pressed a button by the "wax figure" they wanted tot know about. Then the "wax figure" would recite a memorized statement.
So here is Thomas Paine and Paul Revere is next to him. You can also see Amelia Earhart behind him. I thought this was such a great idea. Cole had a lot of fun with it. Cord & the little boys & I went over to the school to go through the museum. There were so many creative costumes. Cole recited his part for us but according to Lily when she went through and pressed Cole's button he just said "blah, blah, blah, blah" Oh siblings!
I took a picture of Cole's good friend Jordan who was Peg Leg Joe a one-legged sailor who wrote and then taught the song "Follow the Drinking Gourd" to slaves to help them escape. I love the wooden leg. Like I said there were a lot of great costumes!
For Constitution Day on Wednesday the fifth graders at Cole's school made a wax museum comprised of people who had to do with independence, the Constitution, or freedoms we enjoy because of the Constitution. Cole chose to be Thomas Paine. Thomas Paine wrote "These are the times that try men's souls." as well as Common Sense a book that called America to arms.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Actually, the cheer goes: Push 'em back! Push 'em back! Hey! Push 'em back. :D
Sorry, I guess I only know the old school version from 20+ years ago.
Heidi, I'm more familiar with your version, don't worry.
I love that idea of a museum! Cole will always remember who Thomas Paine was, that's for sure.
And I like Cord's costume, too. (Seriously, he looks good...great pants!)
Love the costume. What a fun idea. And I'm sure he is lovin' playing football!
What a great idea that wax figurine project is!! Love that. Interactive history. Very cool.
Looks like he's enjoying that flag football stuff. Cute kid.
Oh you guys are just too old. :l
Being a freak about costumes I have to say Cole looks fabulous. Way to go Heidi.
That's great that Cord can help coach his team. I think that is such a great experience for kids. It makes them feel so important and proud of their parent (unless Cord is one of those psycho loud-yeller type coaches, but I somehow can't picture that) Go Cole! Oh, and Alli for cheering.
awesome stuff he is doing.
sarah did that same exact thing last year in her 4th grade class. it was for their last "book report" for the year. they could chose any famous person in history. sarah was hatshepsut, the egyptian pharoah. thank goodness savannah had been cleopatra for halloween the previous year so we had a costume on hand that we just had to add a few things too. they did the same button thingy too. how funny. those teachers must be surfing the same websites.
it was really cool to see. cole looks great in his costume btw.
push'em back! push'em back! push'em WAY back!
Post a Comment